This 87-acre area is a popular place for family and group picnicking. It is known for its lush setting in a grove of fragrant second growth redwood trees off Skyline Boulevard in Oakland. The original grove was logged between 1840 and 1860 to support the needs of a growing Bay Area community.
Early in 1979 Roberts became the first park in the two county Regional Park District to be “adopted” by a local industry. An ongoing partnership was formed with Kaiser Aluminum & Chemical Corporation, tapping the financial and human resources of the worldwide, Oakland based firm to assure the continued operation of this popular urban parkland.
The Adopt A Park program was developed in July 1978 after California citizens voted to change the state’s tax structure, resulting in funding cutbacks for special districts and public agencies like EBRPD that were primarily dependent on property taxes for operation. For more information on how to help the District maintain its current parklands and services, call the Public Affairs Department at 1-888-EBPARKS (1-888-327-2757) or write to: East Bay Regional Park District, P.O. Box 5381, Oakland, CA 94605-0381, Attn: Public Affairs Department.