Fresno Discovery Center is rooted in generosity. Funds were donated to the City of Fresno by Frank Reedy to purchase 5 1/2 acres, previously owned by the Roessler family, to create a green space or city park for the “children of Fresno.” This area was named Reedy Park in honor of Frank Reedy’s generous gift. Reedy Park and The Fresno Jr. Museum of Science and Natural History were established in 1954 and the museum received nonprofit status on 1 July 1968.
In 1995, Fred and Perle Deutsch donated their exquisite cactus and succulent collection. They started this collection in the 1930’s and included species from Mexico, Arizona, and California. The Deutsch Cactus Garden includes over 250 species and takes up about one acre!
Of course, our park includes a playground and lots of space for kids to run, and picnic tables for family lunches. We also have a turtle & koi pond, tortoise compound, and hands-on, interactive exhibits & live animals inside our science center. We host birthday parties, fieldtrips, & hold daily programs for the Greater Fresno Community.